Noche Buena is not complete without Christmas Ham. Most of us will either buy one or receive one this holiday season. How do we know we’re buying a good ham and how do we store it so the taste lasts?
I was able to talk to chef, food editor, tv host, and Pinoy foodie Nancy Reyes-Lumen. She shared with us some tips.
1. Buy ham in airtight packaging. No air, no bacteria.
2. Buy in a reputable store. A good ham is as good as its meat. If you’re buying in bulk, buy one first to taste.
3. Softness of the meat doesn’t equate to good quality. The texture of the meat is a good gauge in its quality.
4. Take out the box while you store the ham in the freezer.
5. You may also ask for an extra box so it’s in a good packaging when it’s time to give the ham away.
6. Inaamag ang ham. For molds, you can just scrape it off and still enjoy eating it.
w/ Nancy Reyes- Lumen
Christmas hams have preservatives so its life is forever until you eat it. For its taste to last, all you need to do is store it properly. 🙂